25 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 24 - Robotic Monotonous Car Park Training

SEDJ banner Logo Lizard in a labcoat [LIALC]


S.E.D.J. is obviously a skateboarding based challenge.  But to be honest a ot of the real challenges lie in the not skateboarding side of things.  Timetableing being the major one and physical maintenance and recovery and, believe it or not, the blogging bit all make demands.

Day 24 was a perfect example of that.  Tuesday's are the day I pick up baby Harper from childcare, so once I'd collected her and got her home, play with her for a little while, which actually means desperately trying to distract her from grabbing all the stuff she's not allowed to, which is basically all the expensive/interesting/dangerous stuff.  Next up is bath time, one word.. awesome.  Then it's feed, brush her two teeth and bed.  So now that she's in bed it was time to feed myself and cook-up some purées for Harper's lunch, so it was all chopping, steaming, blending for a while, then I had my food just as Rach get's back home.  Then I get my shit together and head to Kingston to meet up with Sam at the covered car park.

The whole place had that covering of dampness again, I don't mind it really because I kind of have to skate, Sam on the other hand is under no such obligation.  Sam's been out for almost all of these Kingston Training sessions and was still out skating with me in a damp car park putting his board as risk of sogginess despite having only snapped his last board at the weekend.  Hats off to Sam.




SEDJ Lizard in a lab coat [LIALC]snapped skateboard
Sam's dead board.

After the weekend my ankle, the bad one, has been in a fairly bad way, put that together with a damp car park what do you get? Nose manual and no-comply session that's what.  Yep, it was literally that, Nose-manual attempt, No-comply, Nose-manual attempt, No-comply, Nose-manual and repeat.  I did weaken and put some street slides in there just to take advantage of the slidey surface and the odd curb grind but mostly Nose-manual, No-comply, Nose-manual, No-comply, Nose-manual, No-comply.....

SEDJ no-comply Lizard in a labcoat [LIALC]
It doesn't quite capture the grace of the No-comply does it?

After my breakthrough with the Nose-manual last week there was no way I could stop skating before I made at least one over the prescribed distance.  Nose-manual, No-comply, Nose-manual, No-comply.... and repeat, again.  Perseverance paid off and I started holding them long enough to cover the distance I'd set myself.  Then another problem.  What to put on the blog to illustrate this little training session.  I tried a couple off my-space style shot's of a No-comply with the camera held at arms length while attempting to get pre-focus sorted and shutter firing perfectly in time with my attempt.  Then I had the idea of filming my success on the Nose-manual front.  Of the four attempts I filmed, I made two. I suspect I could get obsessed with nose-manual you know.




By this now time was starting to run-out and I heard a text arrive on my phone.  It was Rach letting me know that Harper had woken up crying and had been doing so for the last hour.  Off home I went.  Rach had been looking after Harper all through the night before so tonight was my turn.  She was consoled and finally snuffling herself to sleep by 1.00am.  Then it was time to wash-up, edit video, do my physio and stretches and get the hell to bed.  The skating was the easy bit.

Day 24 has been done.  I favored the robotic monotonous training (RMT) style for this one and it feels like it's paying off. Thanks to Sam for keeping me company on such an uninspiring night.

Day 25 is Playstation/Bay66 evening session.  I'll be taking this one fairly easy and my even apply the RMT style to learning/cementing a couple of tricks on the mini, if I remember.  If you are about, come and have a skate.

But for now you can check out Adam's (Johners) edit of the day's mucking about on Sunday, Day 22 of S.E.D.J.




[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment