19 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 18 - Wet Wednesday and a Car Park as Motivator.


Firstly I'd like to apologise to anyone who was heading to Plastation66 tonight to in order to get involved with day 18 of S.E.D.J.  I didn't go there tonight because I got tipped f by Kev McKeon and Jamie Harrison that was closed as a result of being too wet.  I know. I was pretty sure it hadn't actually rained either.

This news came on the same day that some of the Alter Skateshop guys went to skate the pool at XC Park and couldn't, becaus it was wet.  I know.  How much did that roof cost and it's unskateable becasue of moisture.  Mental!

Once the news about Bay-Station-66Box had sunk in, I realised I would be heading to a certain car park in Kingston, again.  This visit would make it the most featured spot so far in the Skate Every Day in January (S.E.D.J.) story, but my hand was being forced.

This is under cover.

The damp reality.

It's probably only 4 board lengths.

Jokingly, kind of, I have made reference to nose-wheelies/manuals (I'm switching to nose-manual so as not to confuse any BMXicans reading this) and my inability to do them. Well tonight my dream came true.  The perfect condition for only learning nose-manuals because the whole place was soaking.  Here I was at another covered spot and yet water everywhere, brilliant.


Well as it turns out, yes, it was.  Last night I'd had a few goes after rolling my ankle but I was over the session by then really and didn't make any progress.   Tonight I returned to the world on the nose-manual with the same small challenge set, to do a controlled nose-manual the length of the painted triangle on the car park floor; baby steps.  Purely because there was no choice of anything more instantly gratifying to skate, I just kept trying.  We all know the story, a crap one, a really crap one, what am I fucking playing at, ooh that was a bit better, acrap one, ooh another ok-ish one that at least felt good (and teases you with the promise of getting it) shit one, shit one, shit one, ok one, shit one YES actually do it, with control.  Nice.

Success!

Wet Sucks!


It was at this point I get Sam to take a couple of shots, which seems to focus my efforts as I start making it every other time.  Sam wasn't in the mood for having me shove a camera at it so I decide that looking at pictures of wet car parks isn't really going to cut it.  This time, just this once, I would go infront of the camera. For your viewing pleaseure I got Sam to keep my face well out of the shot.

At 6 o'clock this evening I was pretty pissed off. I sincerely thought day 18 was going to be a complete wash-out and the worst day yet of S.E.D.J. How wrong could I be?  I've had a really fun skate and learnt a trick that has alluded me for a long time. Yet again it's all worked out well somehow.

Day 19 is planned to be at Meanwhile II/Royal Oak from 1:15pm, currently the weather is saying "A couple of Morning Showers", here's hoping they are right or I'll be back to nose-manuals for one more night.

Hope to see you out there.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment