18 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 17 - Car Park Session of Minor Consequenses


I have to be honest here. Last night I probably could have done without going for a skate.  The cracks are starting to appear in my physical condition.  The weekend took it's toll on my back and my ankle to the point where having a rest probably would have been a better idea than going for a Car Park Session in Kingston.

Considering I'm talking about Day 17 is, I suppose, about time for these kind of issues to raise their heads.  You forget how many knocks and tweaks you get throughout the year but you always get at least a couple of days to let them fade a bit before your next skate, not when you've committed to Skating Every Day in January you don't.

I had this fact thrown in my face twice last night.  When I got to the car park last night around 10pm Marcus (Adams), Dougie (Parmiter) and Jack (Maddison -his blog) were already there, at the end of a day skating and filming.  Marcus had dislocated his shoulder a couple of weeks ago and is not really back skating yet and when he said that he might not make Bay-station-66 the next day because he 's not quite fixed, I was kind of jealous. Of the break, not the dislocated shoulder you understand.

In a classic bit of showboating Dave took this to nose-wheelie out.

Dave arrived and pretty soon after Jack, Marcus and Dougie had to leave so we started our two man car park training session.  David was getting his kick-flips and tail-slides back while I was just rolling around with a few slappies and nose slides, a manual here and there when I decided I'd have a go a a few feeble grinds on the waxed curb. First one was encouraging but I didn't put enough weight on the back truck to make it out clean.  The second go just stuck and as I stepped off, my board had turned away the curb under my back foot and hey-presto... ANKLE-ROLL!!  

...go together like a horse and carriage.

Now I have a long history with this injury.  The first ten seconds are always the same: fucking painful.  You can only start to assess how bad it is by how quickly the pain starts to dissipate.  Thankfully this one was more of a tweak than anything serious. But it did kind of kill the session for me, but, it also forced me into concentrating on trying to finally get nose wheelies dialed. Note the word "trying" in that last sentence. 

I write this with a packet of Nurofen next to my keyboard ready to be devoured, I'm planning a lunch-time stretching session and my green tea intake is off the charts in an attempt to get those nasty toxins out of all my ligaments and muscles.  Will any of this help? God knows.  I'll just have to get to the park tonight and see how it goes.

Day 17 was, technically, a success. I'm still in the game. 17 days straight, no failures.  I know that Dave enjoyed thee session so there's another positive... I'm getting good at this.

Day 18 is a return to Platystation/Bay66 so there will be plenty of opportunity to cruise if I need to or go big if I feel like it.  I did kind of promise myself I'd spend a bit more time on the Midi this week: we'll see how that works out.  If your in the area and in the mood, get down there from 7.00pm.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment