16 Jan 2012

S.E.D.J. Day 16 - Meanwhile Gardens Hump Day


First off, let's clear-up any misunderstandings about the title of this post.  The S.E.D.J. bit is obviously Skate Every Day in January, Day 16- again obvious, Meanwhile Garden - Meanwhile I/Meanwhile Bowls and "Hump Day" - The middle of a work week (Wednesday); used in the context of climbing a proverbial hill to get through a tough week. - But I have of course appropriated it to mean the day slap bang in the middle of this 31 day long mission.  That's right I'm now over half way through S.E.D.J., it's all downhill from here.

After the weekend's two sessions I'd woken-up feeling a little battered and in the mood for a nice relaxing skate.  Thankfully the British  weather was on my side. Despite having to ride to work in -1˚C on a motorbike that was so cold the foam in the seat had frozen solid, by lunchtime the skies were still perfectly clear and blue and the sun was out.  For a lunch-time skate in the middle of January I was skating bone-dry Meanwhile Bowls in just T-shirt. It would seem some-one up there like me.

Bathed in Winter Sun!

When I arrived at the bowls there two other guys skating there who I got chatting with, mainly about the state of the park, cracks, uneven slabs of transition, that kind of thing.  One of the guys, called Tom, works down in Ladbrook Grove so he can cycle up to the bowls in about 5 minutes. Imagine having a spot 5 minutes away from work, especially one as fun as Meanwhile, both of them.  So I'm going to have to get a bit mathematical about this and figure out which spot is actually the closest and quickest for me to get to, right now of the top of my head I think it might be Meanwhile II/Royal Oak,  mainly due to fast roads. What I really need is a secret spot that's somewhere within 2 miles of Soho or for the Supreme store to install a min-bowl downstairs... that would be alright, I could walk there.

T-shirt weather at Meanwhile, in January.

Until either of those options become available I'll just have to keep doing what I'm doing and riding for half an hour minimum to get a half hour skate, maximum.  Hey, I'm fully aware that it could be worse, the fact is I got Day 16 sorted on my lunch-break, in the sunshine, at a quality park with sound people. Today was a good day.

Day 17 is another Car Park training session, in Kingston from 10.00pm.  Depending on how my ankle feels this may be a nose-wheelie only session.  If your about, give me a shout.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment