1 Aug 2011

The Spirit Of Stockwell and the Competitive Edge

If you missed it you missed a classic Stockwell night.

A competition, however loosely that term is being used, on a Friday night is not a standard affair. Maybe that's got something to do with Stockwell not being a standard skatepark.

When I used to live around the corner from the park I could always be confident that there would be a good handful of locals hanging at the park on a Friday night. I don't get down there anywhere near often enough so the chances of seeing the same faces from the good old days are dwindling. This friday was different.. even Nabil turned up.

Johners' idea for the comp had struck him at 3.45 AM on friday morning and had devised a number of events, not all of them came off quite to plan.


"Pull My finger?"
The longest ollie from the Sugar Bowl was epeic. Josh ollied something like 5 meters out and Sam on his BMX was over 8 metres out of the bowl - tanking it and causing a few hairy moments for people who were unexpectedly in his landing and braking zone.

Kev keeps the crowds satisfied.

I have no-idea who won the fastest line comp. I know that a pretty pissed Alex was coming close but the actual result was lost in a cloud of beer and smoke. I'll atempt to get a full results sheet from Johners.

James mute grabs

The competition runs threw up a few Surprises.. I'm only going to mention Morgan. His run was punctuated with trick in what we used to call the "Superman" position. Diving onto hid board on his chest and hitting the coping with Blunt Fakie, Rock fakie and even an air to fakie over the hip, completely mental. If I can find photo evidence I'll post it ASAP!

Kev talks to the animals



Ivan ollies.


Morgan empathizes.
After that things just sort of drifted into a general late night session.  It was great to see all the faces... French, Kev, Stu, Nick, James, Jimmi, Adrian, Alex, Jim T., Mr. Gold, Stevie T. anyone else that I'm forgetting and of course Johners for having the idea and actually making it happen rather than just gong to bed and forgetting about it. Oh and thanks to Alex and Kingpin for the prizes.

Now I just need to get my back fixed.

[LIALC]

No comments:

Post a Comment