28 Feb 2011

The Wet Elephant and Somerset Skatepark.

Bristol this weekend.  What a lovely town.  What lovely people.  What a lot of opportunities to use the word "Lovely". A guy I work with once used that word to describe the Black Sabbath album "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", he blamed his kids. Classy.

So Bristol, the UK's San Francisco, discuss.

How am I doing at ignoring the Elephant in the room? The "W" word. You know, the one that snuck in just in time to screw-up a potentially epic session at Midsomer Norton on Sunday.  The session that would have beem my first visit.  It still was my first visit, just no skating.

Here are pictures of Dave and Whip trying to pretend it's not raining.  Dave is doing a better job than Whip, I think you'll agree.

Dave

Whip
This also happened to be one of the few Sunday mornings I have ever had visiting Bristol that I got more than 3 hours sleep and woke up without a hangover.  In the past this sort of bad luck weather would have created a slowly smoldering rage deep in my stomach. I would have seen those tell tale first drops on the windshield and begged in pained desperation "No, please no!!" More drops would land, bigger, more plentiful with the added horror of a pitter patter soundtrack... (sorry, I've got to stop, it's bring back bad memories).

This time I was cool. Older, wiser maybe, now aware of the complete futility of wasting energy on this type of thing.  It's with us, it's always going to be with us,  if it bothered that much I'd have moved to Southern Europe, Australia or California by now.

All I need now is a silver lining to make this all OK. Well, I'm going to have to visit Bristol again soon to skate Midsomer, for the first time, again. I didn't have any potentially crippling collisions with any micro-scooterists and back-pain didn't make me walk like a constipated chimpanzee this morning. So sometimes not skating can be a positive experience.

[LIALC]

1 comment:

  1. But... BUT! That's the emptiest I've ever seen that skatepark! Crippling collisions with micro-scooterists next time.

    ReplyDelete